Is Mold Taking Over Your Home? 7 Signs to Look For

Posted by:

Being that it’s all around us, mold is impossible to avoid completely. Micro-sized spores are nearly everywhere, albeit in small quantities where they usually pose little or no risk to our health. If mold grows unchecked inside your home, however, it may harm you and your family’s health while also damaging certain items. But how do you know if mold is taking over your home exactly? Here are a few telltale signs that your home has a mold problem.

 

#1) Skin Feels Damp and Clammy

If your skin feels damp and clammy, you may have a mold problem in your home. This doesn’t mean that mold is directly touching your skin. Rather, mold grows moist environments that leave your skin feeling damp and clammy.

 

#2) Increased Frequency of Sickness

Everyone gets sick, with statistics showing that adults catch an average of three cold infections yearly. But if you’ve been getting sick more frequently than usual, you should investigate your home to determine if mold is present. Millions of people are allergic to mold. If you have a mold allergy and your home is filled with mold, you may experience symptoms such as sinus congestion, runny nose, sneezing, headaches or even infections.

 

#3) Musky Odor

When inspecting your home for mold, go around and smell and the air. Because it grows in humid and moist environments, mold has a distinct musky odor to it. Many people compare the musky odor of a home-filled space with that of a damp crawlspace or basement. It’s not particularly strong or overbearing, but it’s still somewhat pungent and unpleasant. And attempting to mask the musky odor with air fresheners or scented candles doesn’t work.

 

#4) Condensation on Windows

Check your home’s interior-exterior windows during the mornings to see if they are covered with condensation. Assuming your home has a comfortable relative humidity — usually around 40% to 55% — little or no condensation will form on the windows. If your home has a high relative humidity, however, moisture will accumulate on the surface of the windows as it attempts to balance with the less-humid air outside the windows. Condensation itself doesn’t necessarily mean that you have a mold problem, but it’s one more sign that large concentrations of mold spores are present inside your home.

 

 

#5) Black Spots on Walls

Black spots on walls, especially the top, bottom or corners, is a surefire sign of a mold problem. Black mold is essentially a type of fungus from the genus Stachybotrs. It’s considered toxic to humans because it produces varies chemicals, including mycotoxins like satratoxin. When black mold begins to spread, it will create the appearance of black spots. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), you can clean black mold using a diluted solution of bleach and water. Unless you control the humidity and moisture inside your home, though, it will likely return.

 

#6) Leaking Water

Leaking water can pave the way for a mold problem. When water leaks from a pipe, it may collect on the floor where it absorbs deep into your home’s wooden frame. As your home becomes more moist, mold will set in and begin to spread. Even if a faucet is leaking water — and the water leaks into a sink or bathtub — it may still cause mold. Not all the leaking water will travel down the drain. Some of the water will evaporate into the air as moisture vapor, causing your home’s relative humidity to increase and thereby increasing the risk of mold growth.

In addition to causing mold, leaking water can cost you big bucks if left unaddressed. A fast-leaking faucet can waste hundreds of gallons of water per day, forcing you to pay more for your monthly water bills. To protect your home from mold as well as a sky-high water bills, fix any leaking pipes or faucets.

 

#7) Home Doesn’t Cool Easily

Finally, if you struggle to keep your home cool during the summers, you may have a mold problem. This is because mold spreads in humid environments, and high humidity can make your home feel warmer than it actually is. When your home is humid, the large concentrations of airborne moisture vapor trap your body heat. Basically, humidity reduces the effectiveness of your body’s natural cooling mechanism. Our bodies are designed to release heat through our skin to cool off. If your home is particularly humid, the airborne moisture vapor will act as insulation, restricting the amount of heat that’s released from your body.

Don’t turn a blind eye to mold growth inside your home. If you’ve noticed any of these seven signs, take action immediately. This involves cleaning and removing the mold, followed by regulating your home’s humidity level. By taking action to protect your home from mold, you can protect yourself and your family from the health problems associated with mold exposure.

 

To learn more about Atlanta Chiro and Wellness’s chiropractic and integrative medicine services, contact us today.

0
  Related Posts
  • No related posts found.